TWO DEATHS & & 174 CASES IN PAST 24 HOURS
The number of positive covid-19 cases have risen to 650 with two deaths as of midday on Tuesday 25 January during a period of eight days since the first locally diagnosed cases from Ontong Java on January 18.
The results were announced this afternoon by Health and Medical Services Minister, Dr. Culwick Togamana in his daily covid situation update.
Minister Togamana said health authorities are expecting more cases in coming days as community transmission is now widespread in the capital and some provincial areas.
Seventy percent of positive patients are asymptomatic, meaning they are not showing any signs of cough, shortness of breath, runny nose etc. Thirty percent of the total are showing symptoms mainly consisting of fever, sore throat, runny nose and in some cases shortness of breath.
“Expect more people to contract the virus, more people to fall sick and severely ill from the virus. We can only pray that God will continue to guide and protect all our undertakings at this time to address the community transmission and prevent as much as possible loss of lives of our people,” Minister Togamana said.
Since the outbreak early last week, a total of 52 patients were admitted with 33 patients at the Central Field Hospital and 19 in the National Referral Hospital with three on oxygen and two are critical.
The two persons that died last night at the Emergency Department included a 51 year female and another 59 year male who had pre-existing conditions including diabetes and high blood pressure. Both were tested positive for COVID 19.
“My heartfelt sympathy to the immediate families of these two, their relatives and friends. The outcome of the investigations will be communicated accordingly and at the appropriate time,” Togamana said.
Family members of the deceased persons have been advised to self-isolate at their respective homes as they were exposed to COVID-19.