Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare has strong urged members of the public to wear masks before leaving their homes.
As he announced more COVID-19 positive cases, 88 today, Sogavare has also issued this warning: “Wear face masks when you leave your homes. Do not leave your home if you are not wearing a face mask.”
Sogavare said: “We are no longer in normal times.”
Meanwhile the Oversight Committee has recommended the following actions of be observed after the lockdown is lifted tomorrow morning.
- Limiting people movement. It is important that everyone limits their movement into the city or to crowded areas. Remember when you move, the virus moves.
- The business houses will be consulted to adopt a COVID-19 safety approach
- Mode of work is being reviewed to ensure productivity is retained while safety is enhanced.
- School opening will be delayed for a week for further assessment on the situation with further decisions to be done in the next week.
- Implementation of the Ontong Java engagement plan to contain and control COVID-19 in Ontong Java
- Implementation of provincial emergency plans to put on place mechanisms to contain and control any spread of COVID-19 to provinces.
- Most of all, continue to observe COVID-19 safe practices as follows:
- Limit your movements into town
- Wear face masks when you leave your homes. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOME IF YOU ARE NOT WEARING A FACE MASK.
- Practice social distancing of at least 2 meters distance from the next person
- Use hand sanitizers or wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Do not congregate