The learning continuity programme for students who are currently staying at home due to COVID-19 will start Monday on radio.
Permanent Secretary of Education and Human Resources Development Dr. Franco Roddie announced Thursday that they would start by broadcasting some lessons that were prepared last year and in 2020.
He added they also have digitized materials online targeting Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary students to compliment the radio programmes.
Dr. Roddie further explained these measures are captured in his ministry’s COVID-19 Response Plan for Learning Continuity Programme.
He said the learning continuity programme is now possibile because his officers have started returning to work following the COVID-19 outbreak.
He said officers that were tested negative had resumed work enabling some of them to facilitate the programme.
Dr. Roddie admitted that based on a survey they had contacted on the lessons they broadcast in the past— the coverage of SIBC to all corners where students are – is very poor.
He said when the lessons were played at night (9pm) the students were unable to hear it clearly.
“So we have to find the time where many students can possibly listen to the radio,” said the PS.
Dr Roddie added with online, there was a very big gap.
“Not only we have connectivity problem but the fact that the students don’t have laptops or even smart gadgets,” he said.
Dr. Roddie said with that they would not be able to access the digitized teaching and learning materials.
Despite the challenges, Dr. Roddie said they would continue with the programme.
Schools remain closed due to the community transmission of COVID into our provinces except for Temotu.