The Royal Solomon Island Police Force (RSIPF) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding between Solomon Islands Financial Intelligence Unit (SIFIU) and Solomon Islands Immigration Division.
The purpose of the MoU is to set out the framework between RSIPF, SIFIU and Immigration Division in relation to cooperation for information exchange and enforcement of Solomon Islands legislation and regulation pertaining to transnational crime.
The detail on agreement between parties involved in the signing of the MoU are,
- Exchange information, including intelligence, relevant to meeting the objectives of the MoU. More detailed arrangements for information exchange may be detailed with an exchange of letters under this MoU.
- Exchange information either on request or of their own initiative, relevant to their respective functions and responsibilities.
- Designate positions to undertake the exchange of information and intelligence under this MoU. Each party will supply the list of its designated positions to the other party.
- Prescribe requirements for requesting information.
- Exchange information pursuant to this MoU in accordance with privacy and secrecy provisions of any Act of the Solomon Islands.
- Protect any information provided by another party from unauthorized access or disclosure.
- Comply with any conditions, restrictions or caveat imposed by the other party in respect of the handling or disclosure of information.
The MoU will be reviewed after four years, or in the event any dispute arises.