12 children amongst 14 survivors of fish poison that costs 2 lives
Twelve children (8-12 years) were amongst the 14 survivors after they ate a poisonous ballon fish or spiny puffe, which killed a mother and her child at New Takwa, Kolobangara, Western Province over the weekend.
Commissioner of Police Mostyn Mangau states that the ballon fish was left in a canoe used by a fisherman overnight. The woman (now deceased) saw the fish and took it home where she cooked it. It was first shared by her family of four. They felt sick and were taken to Ringi Clinic, whilst two others recovered, the mother and her eight-year old child died as a result of the fish poison.
Mangau said a further 12 children who also ate the fish were taken to Gizo Hospital for treatment.
The children between 8-12 years were later released after they were treated at the hospital.
“My condolence to the family members for that sad situation during this time of bereavement,” the police chief, says.
“I appeal to my good people at Kolobangara Island, especially those people at Niutakwa village to assist police with information. You can call Gizo Police Station on phone 60999,” says Mangau.