Proposed Direct flight to China on August 29 is “off”
The government’s proposed direct flight to China on 29th of this month has been put-off as the government reviews the flights it has taken so far and those it plans to repatriate nationals and others in the coming weeks.
Secretary to the Prime Minister Dr. Jimmy Rodgers said the Caucus has advised for the review and the proposed China flight too is been looked into.
He said it might happen but at a later date.
The proposed direct flight has drawn lots of criticisms against the government with the Solomon Islands Christian Association and Transparency Solomon Islands calling for the flight to be cancelled.
Speaking exclusively to SMOnline after the Open Forum on COVID-19 today in Honiara, Dr. Rodgers confirms that the direct flight will not be happening at this stage as they are reviewing the past flights with the hope to improving on the gaps.
He explains that the government did not have time to review the past flights and the quarantine centres so they would be working on that in the next two weeks.
Dr Rodgers said they would like to tidy up the procedures as they don’t want to leave any gaps—especially as they plan to bring in students from high-risk countries like the Philippines next month.
On China, Dr. Rodgers it may still take place later but adds they are also looking at other options.
“Now we are looking at other options like we currently do, like pick up in Sydney,” he said.
He explains that when they planned the proposed direct flight to China, there were no flights to China.